Home > Entertainment > Mad Men Season 4 Episode 3 – Dick + Anne ‘64

Mad Men Season 4 Episode 3 – Dick + Anne ‘64

We as viewers needed this episode. We needed to be reminded that at his core Don Draper is not a complete lost cause. We also needed to reminded exactly how far he had fallen.

It’s New Year’s Eve and Don is heading to Acapulco but not before visiting Anne Draper in California. Don, at this point anyway, loves Anne sort of the way a son loves his mother. I find this re-assuring because I root for Don and the writers have been making that very hard this year. The one thing about Anne is that by her side is the one place he can still be Whitman. It’s an oasis really, given the current trajectory of Draper’s life. I think that’s important. He even gos as far as to say so when he ham-handedly tries to seduce Anne’s 19 year old niece, in the context of discussing an old pretty song about a far away place where everyone is home.

The whole thing is a bit gut wrenching really. Even more so when we see how ill prepared Don is to deal with the news of Anne’s terminal cancer. He was shaken to the core.

We shouldn’t fool ourselves. This new emptiness is exactly why he takes Price under his wing upon returning to NY, after skipping Acapulco entirely. Price tells Don about his separation and Don see his chance to strengthen his family. This is is exactly why Don got drunk with Price and paid for his hooker. At this point, this is what Don thinks taking care of people looks like. How sad.

In the B plot, Joan and her d-bag husband are arguing about family planning, which is really an argument about greg’s dread of going off to Vietnam. Joan is clearly trapped in a tough situation exacerbated by her husband’s inability to address her needs and feelings, a fact that is underscored by his pediatric trickery while tending to her cut. Equally sad, yet in a different way entirely.

So Don, Joan and Price are all more alone than ever and its 1965. Who knows what the New Year will bring.

Okay, I got some ménage -a-fan-fiction to write.

Posted on August 10th, 2010 Filed in: Entertainment Tags:

1. August 10th, 2010 at 10:43 | #1

This read like a professional review. Come clean with me, did you copy & paste this from Harpers?

On a different note, I’m surprised they haven’t even mentioned the old firm/employees that Sterling/Cooper/Draper split off from.

2. xTian
    xTian
    August 10th, 2010 at 11:41 | #2

If it was from Harper’s it would have been better edited. I just cleared up 5 egregious grammar errors. That will show me to post drunk.

Ken Cosgrove is dead to me!

3. xTian
    xTian
    August 10th, 2010 at 11:42 | #3

At what point do we get a b-plot featuring Don’s hooker and her home life? I put the over under at episode 7

4. Evil Twin #1
    Evil Twin #1
    August 10th, 2010 at 12:57 | #4

Really, Don? Your ex-wife’s niece? Corrupting Pryce with a hooker? Blaming Betty for leaving you because you told her about Dick Whitman? Don, how can you be so smart and yet so clueless on why you are a jerk?

Hurrah, Pryce, for calling Joan out on her fried chicken bit. Boo, Pryce, for the awkward hooker thing.

My favorite part was the Joan/Peggy interaction. Peggy, you can scold a bunch of guys, but will you ever be able to stand up to Joan?

5. Anonymous
    August 10th, 2010 at 22:24 | #5

I agree- I’ve always loved Don, but this episode made me like him again. ET1- you know he wasn’t really married to Anna Draper, right? So technically it’s okay for him to hit on her niece.

6. Steph
    Steph
    August 10th, 2010 at 22:25 | #6

Again. That was me.

7. mg
    mg
    September 13th, 2010 at 23:55 | #7

catching up on the season and took this episode in a complete different way. don and price’s new year’s fun, while debaucherous, was good for both men. don opening up about his feelings/personal life seems like a definite positive. and price’s impending divorce (?), while sad, is probably what is best for his personal growth – his wife wasn’t very nice, and going back to london would kill him.

my wife and I both saw the knife scene with joan and her husband in a good light. his quote – “i may not be able to fix everything, but i can fix this” – shows his behavior and attempts to provide for joan’s needs in other areas aren’t malevolent, just incompetent. to me that idea is at the heart of the show – these people all try to do the right thing, but are all so deeply flawed in their own unique ways that they manage to fail at being good as often as not. the only characters where this is not true are betsy (pure evil) and trudy (pure good).

8. xTian
    xTian
    September 14th, 2010 at 08:58 | #8

@mg
    You did not find his use of a trick he uses with children as a little condescending? I did and given the Christina Hendricks’ reaction – her character did as well. They focus on her face for a reason…

This was good for Price, I never argued that but it on Don’s end completely self serving…

So basically, you are wrong.

thanks for reading!

9. mg
    mg
    September 14th, 2010 at 09:58 | #9

actually, you’ve got it all wrong. joan’s does get upset, but it is the realization that even though she is constantly annoyed at the doctor, she does love him, he does lover her (in his way), and that she doesn’t want him to go off to vietnam. for that brief moment she has what she always wanted, the surgeon husband who can care for herneeds. it is joyful and paunful all at once because joan knows that pretty soon she will be losing him.

the parallel to don is that for the doctor the only way he has been successful in relating to joan in the way she needs/expects is by fixing her finger (an aspect of his profession) and that for don the only way to relate to price is drinks/girls (an aspect of his profession).

i also don’t think what don did was self serving. he just returned from seeing anna, whom he could do nothing to help, and found price in need, and helped him in the only way he is capable (or thinks he is capable) of doing so. his comment at the restaurant (“i’ve learned not to give advice”) is ironic because for that night he was a good friend to care for price. that don also got something out of it (not being alone) is besides the point because he could go out and get drunk with someone from the office every night of the week if he chose to.

10. Evil
    Evil
    September 14th, 2010 at 22:26 | #10

I am blocking mg’s ip address for his retarded comments

11. mg
    mg
    September 15th, 2010 at 12:48 | #11

don’t blame me that you two are emotionally illiterate.

12. Evil
    Evil
    October 31st, 2010 at 16:53 | #12

Ignore my previous comment. I hadn’t watched this episode until a few days ago. Just catching up on these posts.

Regarding the scene with joan getting her finger sewn up: I found it heartening. It was the first time she had seen her husband in that light, I.e. Actually able to do something competently (even though it was a very simple task for any doctor). In don’t think Joan was upset by the children’s trick. Her face seemed to say that she was emotional, but not mad.

Another excellent writeup by xtian.

13. November 1st, 2010 at 08:57 | #13

Evil, I’m not sure why you wouldn’t trust my understanding of human emotions (especially white humans) over xTian’s. Can you unblock my IP address now?

14. evil
    evil
    November 1st, 2010 at 09:33 | #14

IP unblocked now. my apologies. (andy nil’s IP still blocked and will remain blocked forever.)

15. mg
    mg
    November 1st, 2010 at 14:46 | #15

I can’t believe you actually blocked my IP. I was just able to post to from my work laptop for the first time in months.

16. July 24th, 2011 at 19:33 | #16

Hei brilliant blog post. Who knows shops at California using text message marketing service 12stores.com? My store is changing 2 it & 1 would like 2 make joint specials with other stores near by.

1. August 20th, 2010 at 12:33 | #1